Please note that this page applies only to North Dakota state agencies or those organizations within the internal state network.
Before connecting to a GIS Hub database using a direct connect (a.k.a. 2-Tier connection), the Oracle Client must be installed on the computer being used to make the connection. These steps are for downloading the 32-bit client which is required for ArcGIS Desktop.
IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE RUNNING ARCGIS DESKTOP USE THE 32-BIT CLIENT. USE THE 64-BIT VERSION ONLY IF YOU ARE USING A 64-BIT ARCGIS PRODUCT SUCH AS ARCGIS PRO. These instructions assume that you are downloading the 32-bit 'runtime' client. Please note that you can download and install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit so that you can run both ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro but please note that you must first install the 32-bit client and then install the 64-bit client.
- Go to the Oracle Database Software Downloads page
- Scroll down to the "Oracle Database 12c Release 2" section
- Click "See All" next to the version you wish to download.
- After clicking on the "See All" link you will need to accept the OTN License Agreement by clicking on the radio button.
- Scroll down the page and then under the "Oracle Database 12c Release 2 Client (188.8.131.52.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)" section click on the win32_12201_client.zip (1,154,114,135 bytes) and proceed to download the file
- Unzip the contents of the .zip file to a temporary folder, e.g., on the desktop, “oracle12ctemp”
- Browse to the location of the temporary folder, e.g., …Desktop\oracle12ctemp then go into the ‘client’ directory then double click on the setup.exe .
- In the setup program, click on the Next button, then click on the radio button in front of 'Runtime', then click Next. Please note - if you are only interested in connecting to one of the GIS Hub databases, instead of selecting 'Runtime', you can select to use 'InstantClient' which takes up less disk space than 'Runtime.'
- For Oracle base, you can choose to accept the default or specify your own. It might be preferable to specify a name/location that will be clear, e.g., ‘C:\oracle12c32’ then click Next.
- A prerequisite check will run briefly, then click Install.
- Near the end of the install the Installer window will appear. Click on the Close button.
- If you wish, delete the downloaded .zip file and the temporary directory, ‘oracle12ctemp’
- If you have installed the 'Runtime' client: Go into the directory: C:\oracle12c32\product\12.1.0\client_1\network\admin and create or edit the existing sqlnet.ora so that the content looks like:
# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File
names.directory_path = (LDAP,TNSNAMES,EZCONNECT)
names.default_domain = itd.nd.gov
DIRECTORY_SERVER_TYPE = OID
- With help from your GIS Coordinator, create or obtain a file named ldap.ora, and put that file into the same directory as the sqlnet.ora, i.e., put the ldap.ora in C:\oracle12c\product\12.1.0\client_1\network\admin directory
Everyone will have their own user ID, and their own passwords. Each agency has an IT Lead Coordinator, that is probably already familiar with using the work request system that is used to request the User ID, password, and roles.
To get direct access to the Hub, please follow these steps. We are using Bob Smith as a fictitious user in this example:
If you have been trained, use the Work Management System to add a new user using the following instructions:
- Enter in your IT Coordinator user ID and password, click the 'Login' button.
- Create a new Service Request under a new or existing Work Order. In the new or existing Work Order, click on the 'Add Service Request' button near the bottom of the page.
- Select the type of service request by clicking on the 'Oracle User ID' link in the Security section.
- Fill in the request information, e.g., specify the request date and type in a short description then click on the 'Continue' button.
- In the Request Details section, specify the following:
- Region: select 'Production'
- Database/instance: type in 'gisp'
- For adding a user, for example Bob Smith, click on the 'Add User ID' link then:
Action: select 'add'
UserID: type in 'bsmith'
User Name: First: type in 'Bob' ; MI: optional ; Second: type in 'Smith'
Initial Password: type it in, minimum 6 characters, mix of alpha and numeric
Department of User: from the pull-down list, select your department
Externally authenticated ID: select 'no'
- The 'Add User Role' link is not used.
- The 'Add Grant Details' link is not used.
- The 'Add Attachment' link is not used.
- You can enter text in the 'Comments/Special Instructions' area if you wish, this is optional.
- Click on the 'Submit' button near the bottom of the page.
ArcGIS Desktop or version 10.0 or above can be used to connect to one of the GIS Hub databases. The GIS Hub data reside on multiple databases.
|Database||Direct Connect Name||Comment|
|GISP||gisp_svc||Primary database, vector data|
|GISGLO||gisglo_svc||Government Land Office surveys (GLOs)|
|GISSPEC||gisspec_svc||Specialized and agency-specific data|
|GISER||giser_svc||Emergency response data|
- Database Platform: Oracle
- Instance: GISP_SVC (replace 'gisp_svc' with one of the other Direct Connect Names from the table above as needed. Please note that if the Direct Connect name such as 'gisp_svc' doesn't work, then instead of using that then try using "ndhub.itd.nd.gov/gisp_svc.itd.nd.gov, replacing 'gisp_svc' with one of the other Direct Connect Names from the table above as needed)
- Authentication Type: Database Authentication
- Username: Oracle User ID
- Password: Oracle password