As per the executive orders, membership of the GISTC is composed of representatives from seven state agencies. The GISTC includes other state agencies as Associate Members as deemed necessary to accommodate GIS growth in those agencies.
- Department of Agriculture*
- Army National Guard*
- Department of Emergency Services*
- Game & Fish Department
- Geological Survey
- Department of Health
- Department of Environmental Quality*
- State Historical Society*
- Information Technology Department
- Oil & Gas Division *
- Parks & Recreation Department
- Public Service Commission *
- State Water Commission
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Trust Lands *
* Associate Member
Please contact us if you need to get in touch with a GIS person in these agencies.
- Coordinating and providing an overview of GIS activities within the state.
- Reviewing proposed GIS projects.
- Acting as a clearinghouse of GIS data and activities.
- Being chaired by the Information Technology Department.
- Inviting government and private organizations to participate as associate members.
- Serving as the advisory council to the full committee which is composed of the GISTC and associate members.
- Issuing a report to the Governor's office at the end of each fiscal year, detailing progress and problems encountered with GIS developments in the state.
- Appointing a State Mapping Advisory Committee (SMAC), subject to the approval of the Governor, to be chaired by the ND Geological Survey. The SMAC will coordinate and prioritize mapping activities within the state.
- Keep the agencies and public of North Dakota informed with respect to GIS activities, technologies, projects, standards, and data.
- Meet on a regular schedule, at least once per month.
- Meet on a regular schedule with the associate members, at least once per year.
- Enhance the likelihood of federal support for mapping and data acquisition in the state through SMAC and its own efforts.
- Prioritize and direct the spending of the available GIS budget.
- Promote partnerships and collaboration with other levels of government statewide, utilization of other resources - as part of a Strategic GIS strategy.
- Look for GIS cost saving opportunities by coordination of software and hardware purchase, data acquisition, training, and support; identifying what other State agencies are doing with GIS, to help eliminate redundancies.
- Promote the use of GIS to enhance the utilization of existing data.
- Put North Dakota in the forefront of national use of GIS tools, technologies, and geospatial data warehousing.
The GIS Technical Committee meets at 9am CT on the second Wednesday of every month unless otherwise noted. If you are interested in attending one of these meetings as a guest please contact us because the meeting locations rotate through the GISTC agency locations. Please note that in the interest of keeping the meetings on track, the GISTC would appreciate non-GISTC meeting attendees to follow the Attorney General Open Meetings Guide (227kb pdf), "A member of the public does not have the right to speak to the governing body at an open meeting, only the right to see and hear what happens at the meeting and to record or broadcast those observations."
Upcoming EventsView All Events
Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 09:00 amCategories: all, GISTC Meetings
Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 09:00 amCategories: all, GISTC Meetings
Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 09:00 amCategories: all, GISTC Meetings
Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 09:00 amCategories: all, GISTC Meetings
Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 09:00 amCategories: all, GISTC Meetings
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 09:00 amCategories: all, GISTC Meetings